1 a tight-fitting headdress
2 a top (as for a bottle)
3 a mechanical or electrical explosive device or a small amount of explosive; can be used to initiate the reaction of a disrupting explosive [syn: detonator, detonating device]
4 something serving as a cover or protection
5 a fruiting structure resembling an umbrella that forms the top of a stalked fleshy fungus such as a mushroom [syn: pileus]
6 an upper limit on what is allowed; "they established a cap for prices" [syn: ceiling]
7 dental appliance consisting of an artificial crown for a tooth [syn: crownwork]
1 lie at the top of; "Snow capped the mountains" [syn: crest]
2 restrict the number or amount of; "We had to cap the number of people we can accept into our club" [also: capping, capped]
- Rhymes with: -æp
- A close-fitting head covering either without a brim or with a peak
- A special head covering to indicate rank, occupation etc.
- An academic mortarboard
- A protective cover or seal
- A crown for covering a tooth
- The summit of a mountain etc.
- An artificial upper limit or ceiling
- (informal) An uppercase letter, abbreviated from "capital"
- The top part of a mushroom
- A small amount of gunpowder in a paper strip or plastic cup for use in a toy gun
- Billy spent all morning firing caps with his friends, re-enacting storming the beach at Normandy.
- A small explosive
device used to detonate
a larger charge of
- He wired the cap to the bundle of dynamite, then detonated it remotely.
- An international appearance
- Ferdinand won his 50th cap for England in a game against Sweden.
- The cap worn by players as protection from the sun; the cap awarded to a player when first selected to play for a side
- In the context of "slang": a bullet used to shoot someone; generally used in
the phrase 'put a cap in (someone's) ass'
- 2001: Charles Jade, Jade
goes to Metreon
- Did he think they were going to put a cap in his ass right in the middle of Metreon?
- 2001: Charles Jade, Jade goes to Metreon
- Spanish: fulminante
- (informal) To convert text to uppercase
- To cover or seal with a cap
- To award a cap as a mark of distinction etc.
- To lie over or on top of something
- To surpass or outdo
- To set an upper limit on something
- To select a player to play for a specified side
- An abbreviation for capture
- In the context of "slang ": To shoot someone
- If he don't get outta my hood, I'm gonna cap his ass.
Noundeclension pattern for singular, for plural
- a male goat
A cap is a form of headgear. Caps have crowns that fit closer than hats and have no brim or only a visor. They are typically designed for warmth and, when including a visor, blocking sunlight from the eyes.
Types of caps
- Ascot cap
- Baseball cap
- Cap of Maintenance
- Civil air patrol
- Civil War cap (also known as rebel cap)
- Combination cap (also known as service cap)
- Cricket cap
- Dutch cap
- Engineer cap
- Fiddler cap (also known as Dutch Boy)
- Flat cap
- Garrison cap
- Greek fisherman's cap
- International cap
- John Lennon cap
- Kippah (also known as yarmulke)
- Muir cap
- Newsboy cap
- Nurse cap
- Patrol cap
- Square academic cap
- Tam o'shanter
- Tuque or Stocking cap
- Welder's cap
- Yachting cap
- My Kingdom for a Crown: An Around-the-World History of the Skullcap and its Modern Socio-Political Significance, by Reverend Antonio Hernandez (pdf) -- a thorough history of the skullcap, with chapters on the yarmulke and the beanie among others.
cap in German: Mütze
cap in Spanish: Gorra
cap in Esperanto: Ĉapo
cap in French: Casquette
cap in Italian: Cap (sovrano)
cap in Dutch: Pet (hoofddeksel)
cap in Norwegian: Skyggelue
cap in Polish: Czapka
cap in Portuguese: Boné
cap in Quechua: P'acha chuku
cap in Slovenian: Čepica
cap in Swedish: Keps
cap in Vietnamese: Mũ lưỡi trai
Balmoral, Dutch cap, Panama, Panama hat, Salvation Army bonnet, Stetson, acme, apex, apogee, ascender, astrakhan, back, balaclava helmet, baseball cap, bastard type, beany, beard, bearskin, beaver, befog, belly, beret, best, better, bevel, bewilder, black letter, blanket, blasting cap, boater, body, bonnet, boot, bowler, bracket capital, brass hat, breech, brow, busby, button up, calash, campaign hat, cap, capital, capote, capsheaf, caput, carry to completion, case, castor, ceil, chapeau, chapeau bras, clean up, climax, cloak, cloche, close out, close up, cloud nine, coat, cob, cock-and-pinch, coif, complete, conclude, confound, confuse, consummate, cork, cornice, counter, cover, coverchief, coxcomb, crest, crown, culmen, culminate, culmination, derby, descender, detonating powder, detonator, dome, edge, electric detonator, em, en, end, exceed, excel, exploder, extreme limit, extremity, face, fantail, fat-faced type, feet, fez, finalize, finish, finish off, finish up, font, frock, frost, fulminating mercury, fuse, get done, get it over, get through, get through with, give in kind, go one better, gown, groove, handkerchief, hard hat, hat, head, headcloth, headdress, headgear, heading, headpiece, headtire, headwear, heaven, heavens, height, helmet, high noon, highest pitch, highest point, homburg, hood, ice, improve on, italic, jacket, jockey cap, kaffiyeh, kelly, kepi, kerchief, leghorn, letter, lex talionis, lid, ligature, limit, logotype, lower case, majuscule, mantle, match, maximum, mercury fulminate, meridian, millinery, minuscule, mobcap, mop up, mortarboard, mountaintop, ne plus ultra, nick, nightcap, no place higher, noon, opera hat, operculum, outshine, outstrip, outtop, outweigh, overarch, overbalance, overbear, overcast, overcome, overlay, overpass, overseas cap, overspread, overtop, pass, peak, peaked cap, percussion cap, perfect, perplex, pi, pica, picture hat, pillbox, pinhead, pinnacle, pitch, pith hat, pith helmet, plug, point, poke, pole, porkpie, pose, predominate, preponderate, prevail, primacord, primer, priming, print, puggree, repay in kind, return the compliment, return the like, ridge, roman, roof, roof in, round out, rumal, sailor, sans serif, scraper, script, seventh heaven, shank, shirt, shoe, shoulder, shovel hat, silk hat, skullcap, sky, slouch hat, small cap, small capital, snood, sock, sombrero, spire, squib, stamp, stem, stocking, stopper, stovepipe, stumble, summit, sun hat, sun helmet, sunbonnet, sundown, surmount, surpass, tam, ten-gallon hat, terminate, tin hat, tip, tip-top, top, top hat, top off, top out, topee, topknot, topper, tower above, tower over, transcend, trilby, trump, turban, type, type body, type class, type lice, typecase, typeface, typefounders, typefoundry, tyrolean hat, upmost, upper case, upper extremity, uppermost, utmost, vertex, very top, wide-awake, wimple, wind up, wind-cutter, wrap up, yarmulka, zenith